Saturday, May 14, 2011

Old Faithful Starts Marlene May 14 2011



Old Faithful

I inherited "Old Faithful", a circa 1960's battery charger, about 18 years ago when my Dad passed away.  It had served him faithfully at his Sunoco Service Station since at least the early 1960's, and probably before that.  I can remember using it to charge batteries and start cars when I worked there in high school and college. I have used it to start 'Marlene' on countless freezing New England winter mornings over the past 11 years. Although it is now nearly 50 years old, it has never failed me.  It creaks and groans a bit as it starts up these days but....  then again, so do I.  We have that in common, and perhaps that explains why we have gotten along so well all these years.  ;)
In this picture I am using Old Faithful to jump start Marlene today to move her into the garage to officially begin the restoration project. Drumroll please. :)


Here you can see that Marlene is safely ensconced in the garage, although.....

it is a tight fit!!

Work done for the day, I prepare to curl up with a good book (Chilton's Mercedes Service Manual) in a comfy chair, complete with my car ramp ottoman, and a nice glass of Cabernet Sauvignon in the newly-created lounge area of The Backseat Driver's Baur and Grill Club (my garage).   More on that in a later post.



No comments:

Post a Comment